From Chairman of Deacons:
Dear Church Family,
Last year, you allowed me to speak with you through this same venue, and I appreciate the opportunity to come to you again this year to speak about Pastor Appreciation Month!
The month of October last year was a great time in the life of our church. We were able to celebrate the 100th year of our church with many old friends who returned to town to join us, along with many new friends who have recently joined the church. We then ended the month by recognizing our pastors and their families.
I don’t know about you, but I get a little torn with picking one month out of the entire year to show our appreciation to our pastors. We should really be showing our appreciation every day of the year. They don’t stop being our pastors all year, so we in turn should be showing each of them what they mean to us ALL YEAR!
As a church, we are blessed to have a godly leader who has assembled a staff who works hard every week to make sure each of us are given the opportunity to experience God each time we come through the doors of First Baptist Church Fairdale. I hope everyone is praying and thinking about a new or unique way to show all of our pastors how much we love them and appreciate all that they do for us.
You might be saying to yourself… “What can I do to show them my appreciation?”
I am so glad you asked! I came across an article last year and thought it was worth sharing again. It gives a few suggestions on ways we can show how much we appreciate our pastors (including their wives and families). It does not mean that you have to do everything on the list. You may think of something even better which would be great. Hopefully the list will get your creative juices flowing!
1. Write a note with encouraging feedback from his sermon
2. Mow the pastor’s lawn when his family is on vacation or ministry leave
3. Give a gift card to a favorite restaurant
4. Provide creative childcare for a date night
5. Ask your pastor how you can specifically pray for his family
6. Deliver a homemade dessert/meal to his home or office
7. Arrange and purchase a couple’s retreat somewhere fun
8. Give a brief word of affirmation and prayer on a Sunday morning
9. Provide for and encourage time off for vacations
10. Take your pastor for a meal and talk about his life, not ministry
11. Loan out your favorite vacation spot (cabin, camper, timeshare)
12. Support your pastor as he ministers outside your church
13. Encourage at least one day of Sabbath rest each week
14. Care for your pastor’s health by sponsoring a health club membership
15. Take your pastor somewhere fun: game, concert, hunting, etc.
16. Specifically share how God has used him to challenge, enrich, and encourage your walk with Jesus
17. Financially support your pastor and spouse as they attend marriage-strengthening events
18. Remember birthdays with a personal card or on social media
19. Send a gift card to your pastor’s kids
20. Give unused sports or concert tickets to your pastor’s family
Mark your calendars for the last Sunday evening in October (29th). After the evening service, we will have a reception to honor all of our pastors and their families. We will be asking for volunteers to bring food items to share that night along with cards and gifts for the pastors.
Chairman of Deacons,